Each year, La Rochelle Aquarium is visited
by researchers and doctoral students.
They are able to conduct studies thanks to the
technical and scientific support of the Aquarium.
• Cape Town 2012 International Aquarium Congress. Presentation of a poster summarizing the last 20 years of CESTM activities.
• « The new intertidal zone Aquarium La Rochelle: focus on an aquarium for algae » in collaboration with Philippe de Lacaze, Coutant Aquariums.
• Billund (Denmark)2013 : Presentation entitled “Computed Tomography of aquatic animals.” In collaboration with Marc Legeais.
The Aquarium and its Research and Care Centre for Sea Turtles (CESTM) also hold a wide range of scientific debates with:
• G.T.M.F. (French Sea Turtle Group): conferences and data sharing.
• The French Herpetological Society: annual congresses and publications.
• The Charente-Maritime Natural Science Society: publications.
• International Sea Turtle Society: conferences (Brisbane Symposium, etc.).
• The Herpetology Observatory of the Aranzadi Science Society (Donostia-San Sebastián): conferences and publications.
A selection of the research subjects we've helped with :
2013-2015 : Participation in the project to reintroduce Homarus gammarus lobsters to their natural environment organised by the district community of Ile de Ré.
2013-2018 : Identification of the geographical origin of leatherback turtles washed up on the shores of the Atlantic with NOAA (USA). Genetic analysis.
2011 - 2015 : « The allis shad, Alosa alosa, an endangered species in the Gironde. »
A pool-based growth and maturing programme for reproducing shad. European Life+Nature and Biodiversity Project for the conservation and restoration of the allis shad in the Gironde and the Rhine, in collaboration with IRSTEA (French Research Institute of Science and Technology for Environment and Agriculture) and the North Rhine-Westphalia.
Participation in the 2011-2015 national action plan for the European sea sturgeon: Presentation of the European sea sturgeon (Acipenser sturio) to the public.